Blog post

Top Ten Teacher Christmas Gift Ideas (written by a TEACHER!)

Beth

Teacher Christmas Gift Ideas–> One of the biggest stressors of the Christmas season can be buying gifts for family and friends. Some are easy to buy for… and then there are some where you break out in hives just thinking about what to get them… you know…the brother-in-law, a teenage niece or nephew, and… your kids’ teachers.

Many a time I have asked myself, “What should I get for Teacher Christmas Gifts?!” Which seems a little silly since… I am a teacher! Nevertheless… at times I still struggle!

So… I asked myself… As a teacher, what would I want (or not want) for Christmas? What cheap Christmas gifts are acceptable? And do preschool & kindergarten teachers expect any different Christmas gift?

(*Please Note: teachers do not “expect” gifts, and a hand written note is wonderful, too!)

Turns out Teachers are actually really easy to buy Christmas gifts for! GREAT list of practical, affordable (cheap!) teacher gift ideas that work for preschool, kindergarten & ALL grades! (and NO DIY!) #Teacher #Christmas #Gift #Ideas #Cheap #DIY #Last #minute

Let me start with: What NOT to get teachers for Christmas

Bad teacher gift ideas. Please, don’t give into the temptation to buy us:

1) another coffee mug (our cupboards are full) or
2) more Christmas knick knacks or ornaments (We have plenty… and the longer we’ve been teaching… the more we have.)
(Exception: If you happen to know your child’s teacher and find something you KNOW they would love… by all means… go for it. It is one more thing you can check off your Christmas to do list.)

I know, I know… right now you’re thinking, “How does this help?! Now I’m even more stressed out?”

Related Post: 35 Brand New Elf on the Shelf Ideas (each with a Dollar Tree prop!)

Okay here it is… This is what every teacher wants for Christmas:

What TO get–The Top 10 Teacher Christmas Gift Ideas (plus a few more!):

A vacation to Hawaii, extra snow days that don’t need to be made up at the end of the school year, the entire class to turn in their homework… on time!

Oh wait… you wanted practical ideas…

And that is the secret…. practical or consumable!

Gift Cards:

1) Any kind of gift card for a fun coffee, treats, or lunch: Starbucks, Caribou, or your local coffee shop, Cold Stone Creamery, Dairy Queen, Subway, McDonalds. (We teachers are like a pack of wolves when it comes to food. Any thing that is somewhat edible and ends up in the teacher lunchroom is sucked up quicker than a Lego in a vacuum cleaner.) An Amazon gift card is another great option…not much you can’t get on there!

Fun, new school supplies:

2) Fancy markers/Colored Sharpies
3) Post-it Notes & Blank Note Cards

4) Gorilla Double Sided Tape &Stickers (*Remember, teachers are school geeks that get excited when school supplies come out in the summer!)

Other Teacher Christmas Gift Ideas:

6) fun smelling hand soap or hand sanitizer
7) fuzzy or fun socks
8) if your child’s teacher/school has iPads: iTunes gift card
9) Amazonor other bookstore gift card
10) Candy or some other type of treat: if you don’t know… go with chocolate! Often it is chocolate or caffeine that get us through the day!
11) Get the teacher his/her favorite beverage (that won’t get your kid sent to the principal’s office) or favorite candy

If your child is old enough, have them do a little re-con work: get them to find out his/her teacher’s favorites… (good chance they’ll already know…)

One of my favorite gifts last year was when a student brought me a fountain pop from Holiday gas station and gift card for more… He had been paying attention and noticed that many-a-day there was one of those bad boys on my desk.

Easy Teacher Christmas Gift Ideas for the Male Teacher

Let’s take a moment to discuss the hardest teacher to buy for… the MALE teacher! Keep reminding yourself… practical & consumable

1) Movie certificate taped to a box of popcorn
2) Something you can find at the checkout counter of your local hardware store: flashlight, inexpensive screwdriver or hammer, batteries
3) Duct tape
4) Car Wash Coupons
5) Gas Gift Card
6) Jar of Peanuts or Mixed Nuts
7) Favorite candy/pop

(Note—A lot of these ideas would work for the female teacher as well!)

Teacher Christmas Gift Ideas for the Middle School Teacher

What about the Middle School teacher? Does my child need to bring in a present for one or all of them?

Your Middle Schooler (be careful not to call them a child… it offends them… but then so does the color of shirt you’re wearing today…) now has 4-6 (or more) teachers… that’s a lot of teachers to buy for! There is no hard and fast rule… some kids don’t bring in anything, some kids bring something in for their Homeroom or Advisory Teacher, and some bring in something small (like a candy bar) for each teacher. You get some wiggle room when your child… kid… gets to Middle School.

But should I get them something more personal?

I know… some of you are thinking…a gift card or candy doesn’t seem very personal… Shouldn’t I try to make it special and find something to make from Pinterest?

If Pinterest is therapy for you and you’ve been pinning Christmas gift ideas since July, by all means… get your creative mojo on and make us something. We’ll be very appreciative! (I have gotten some stinkin’ cute gifts that were Pinterest inspired!)

However, if you’re like me and you know this path will end up with you up at 2AM working with pipe cleaners, cardstock and Elmer’s glue…just save yourself the headache and get something from the list above. Remember we love chocolate and caffeine just as much!

Hopefully, some of these ideas will help alleviate the stress of Christmas shopping. And remember…that whatever gift your child brings, we will love it… because we love your kids! It’s why we teach! But hey… if you can swing a vacation to Hawaii or an extra snow day… I promise… your child will be his/her teacher’s favorite student…forever!

What do you think of these teacher Christmas gifts? What’s the best teacher Christmas gift you have given? Have any ideas to add? Please share below!

(Oh! And if you found this helpful, would you do us a favor and pin it or share it on Facebook so that other moms and dads can see it, too? THANK YOU! :)

– Beth

Best teacher christmas gifts

Related Posts: NEW Elf on the Shelf Ideas & more!

Desperately need some NEW ideas for your Elf on the Shelf? We hear you and came up with 35 BRAND NEW ideas, each with a Dollar Tree prop! Super fun, creative & EASY ideas:

New Elf on the Shelf Ideas for 2017! Easy, creative & toddler Elf on the Shelf ideas!

If you’re Elf on the Shelf gets stuck in a poor place where he can’t stay all day (like an ice block in the middle of the bathtub!), you’ll definitely need one of these! The Magic Elf on the Shelf Moving Glove:

DIY Magic Elf Moving Glove, how to move your Elf on the Shelf if he gets stuck in a poor place! Make this glove in under 5 minutes! Includes printable package, too! #ElfontheShelf #Christmas #Ideas #Easy #Quick #Toddler

Plus, if you’re running short on time, you’ll love these ideas! Free printable hiding clues:

And it seems that my husband got in the spirit of Elf on the Shelf as well, here is his take on it! 5 New Redneck Elf on the Shelf ideas (and yes, he really put minnows in our bath tub!) See it here:

New! 5 Redneck Elf on the Shelf Ideas--these are REALLY FUNNY! #ElfontheShelf #Ideas #New #Redneck #Boys #Easy #Qucik

And while this has nothing to do with your Elf on the Shelf, it is one of our most popular posts right now and super fun! DIY Gingerbread House Kits, includes a free printable topper with instructions and ideas!

DIY Gingerbread House Decorating Kit with instructions & Ideas!

• Soft And Chewy Snickerdoodles – Baking With Mom

Oct 17, 2017 at 10:01 am

[…] tray. Christmas is coming up in a couple of months. It is never too early to start planning your teacher’s gifts, cookie trays and shopping […]

• Jeff Mccoy

Dec 23, 2016 at 9:03 am

I’m so excited! I just found Christmas gifts for my kids teachers and classmates. I love this site :-)

• The Top 5 Teacher Christmas Presents

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:01 pm

[…] Here are the Top 5 when asked by a teacher according to ithinkwecouldbefriends.com: […]

• Dee

Dec 13, 2016 at 4:40 am

All great ideas. My children like to give gifts that last. And they think their teacher can use.. now I have to tell my boys there guidelines and not all their gifts are genuinely appreciated? Hmm. Thanks happy holidays

• AHSneedle : What Do Teachers Want for Christmas?

Dec 2, 2016 at 7:44 pm

[…] So during this time of year, don’t forget to thank a teacher. They really appreciate your gesture. For more information about what your teachers might want, click here or here. […]

• teacher gifts for christmas | b2bno.com

Nov 5, 2016 at 7:19 pm

[…] Top Ten Teacher Christmas Gifts (written by a TEACHER!) […]

• christinamcc

Oct 21, 2016 at 3:29 pm

I know this is an old post, so I’m hoping for a reply! :) My son will start student teaching soon and I’m looking for gift ideas for XMas to help him on his way. Any ideas?

I’ve found a couple meaningful books, but know he’s going to “need” things and would love to get them so the struggling college student doesn’t have to try to buy them himself.

1. Dawn

Dawn

Oct 22, 2016 at 9:24 pm

Hi Christina! I passed your question on to Beth and I will let you know just as soon as I hear back! :)

2. Beth Gustafson

Oct 24, 2016 at 3:07 am

Hey Christina- My son just started college and I’m already wondering how hard will Christmas shopping be this year?!? Here are a few ideas for a new to be teacher: If he’s going to be an elementary teacher… it will be a little easier. (We elementary teachers like our STUFF!) We are in love with office supplies : post it note, pens, markers (Mr. Sketcher’s Smelly Markers are really cool!) stickers, etc. BEST GIFT EVER–Books, books and MORE books. It doesn’t matter what grade level he will be teaching( elementary or high school) … a great classroom has lots of books. The best place to hit up for books are thrift stores.. you can get lots of books… for cheap!
      Also…if your son is has a favorite sports team, or hobby… some sports/hobby themed decor (apparently girls have decorations… boys have “decor”) would be a nice addition to his classroom. Many of the male teachers at my school have “decor” of their hobbies or favorite sports teams.
      One last idea… since your son is just starting out, if he doesn’t have a nice computer/teacher bag… he’ll probably need one. Good luck! And tell your son… welcome to one of the BEST JOBS EVER! :)

• could a gift card be traced – Big Gift

Aug 22, 2016 at 5:07 am

[…] Top Ten Teacher Christmas Gifts (written by a TEACHER!) […]

• Marie

Aug 11, 2016 at 7:06 pm

YES to all gift cards! Perfect for the “busy parents”, you can’t go wrong. Last year a parent got me a 15$ gift card to Starbucks, I couldn’t have been happier. And although a lot of teachers have had enough of them, I still love receiving scented soaps/body lotions etc. I also love cute and humorous gifts, which is why I recently came up with my own collection of teacher gifts. Feel free to check them out at https://BoredTeachers.com. My “TEACHER OFF DUTY” wine glass is a huge hit, teachers love it!

• Anatoly Nirshberg

Jan 29, 2016 at 12:06 am

For these holidays I got my daughters teachers gifts at http://www.teacherpeach.com and the teachers were extremely grateful and happy with the gifts themselves. Ended up getting a combination of personal gifts along with some stuff they can use in the classroom.

• spantermuehl

Jan 9, 2016 at 3:08 am

We often make a gift in a jar. We have made a pumpkin bread, soup mix, and many other things that will last past the holiday season. I get my kids (preschool and elementary age) to help put the jars together so that they had a part in making the gift, but I always try to go for consumable.

• Dave S.

Dec 19, 2015 at 1:02 am

One of my all time, most enjoyed, greatest gifts was a Christmas bag containing two very good bottles of wine, and a Starbucks card. I got a kick out of the fact that the parent walked it right into my room and handed it to me. Thoughtful and very innocent gesture.

• Why I Buy My Kids Teachers AND Bus Drivers Gifts – Giveaways 4 Mom

Dec 17, 2015 at 2:53 pm

[…] However, one can never have too many candles right and hand sanitizer was actually recommended on another list (I didn’t know that until after shopping, but anyways). Nevertheless, whatever, I think that they […]

• Anonymous

Dec 16, 2015 at 7:52 pm

One year my husband brought home another large box of gifts he had received from his early elementary-aged students for Christmas: a couple of fun ties, several boxes of chocolates and chocolate-covered cherries, mugs, ornaments, gift cards, items related to his hobbies, homemade treats, and many lovely cards and notes from students and families. Then I noticed a ceramic collie (dog), which was medium-sized and chipped in a couple of places. It looked like maybe it had been around for awhile. I asked if the staff had a white elephant exchange or where the collie came from.

He explained that it was a gift from a student who really didn’t have anything….but wanted to give something special. I don’t think any gesture or gift could have honored my husband more.

I share this as an encouragement to those who worry about what to give your child’s teacher. I could tell my husband felt so loved by his students and families as we looked through the box together. Every single one of those gifts was appreciated and each child thought of warmly. But somehow the collie was the icing on the cake, you know? If you are motivated by genuine appreciation/gratitude/goodwill, please know that many, many teachers receive your cards, notes, gifts, and kind words in the spirit with which they are given.

• Heather W

Dec 15, 2015 at 2:42 am

I’ve been teaching for fifteen years, and several years ago my third grade teacher sent me an ornament I had cross-stitched for her when I was little. She had kept it and put it on her tree for all these years. I cried like a baby!

My favorite gifts are definitely things that the kids have written or created for me. Second to that, gift cards to anywhere that allow me to treat myself a little bit are always appreciated…even a $5 card to a coffee joint is nice!

• gross1an

Nov 25, 2015 at 6:29 am

Great ideas! As a teacher, I love getting fun usable items that I wouldn’t necessarily splurge on for myself. For example, I have a set of Christmas tree shaped kitchen tongs that I LOVE for the holidays. This is something unique that a teacher can use all winter to cook, serve, entertain, OR bring into the classroom for fine motor skill activities (I wrote a post about some free fine motor tasks using tongs just the other day: http://holidaytongs.weebly.com/holiday-fine-motor-skills-activities) and posted the link to the tongs there as well. Merry (early) Christmas! :D

• Tina Shaw

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:13 pm

I do a class gift for the kids (like the reindeer decorated candy canes or homemade play dough) at Christmas and then give the teachers a gift at the end of the school year, usually something like a handmade wreath for their door or classroom or a photo book (our Field Day is at the end of the year and I can capture all the kids then)! I have also give the teachers this “My Favorites Things” list (https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Teachers-Favorite-Things-List-1015778) in the beginning of the school year, so we can celebrate birthdays, anniversaries, etc. with them and the tell us exactly what they want/need with this tool!

• kgrobinson9782

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:48 pm

I saw an idea on Pinterest that included a roll of wrapping paper and scotch tape with some little rhyming note attached. I would probably add a package of gift tags and a roll of ribbon or bag of bows to it, but I liked that it was practical (if the teacher in question celebrates Christmas). If you have several teachers to buy for, you could get all of it at Dollar Tree, and it would only cost you about $3 a teacher if you did the paper, tape, and gift tags.

If the teacher has a family(i.e. kids), I love the idea of giving her a ‘Family Movie Night’ gift basket. Put some microwave popcorn, movie candy, and some hot cocoa in with some Redbox codes so they can hopefully have some family downtime during the Christmas break.

I will also back up some of the previous comments regarding the ornaments (not that I think you meant anything bad by your warning, more for the parents that are stressing over it). My mom was a kindergarten and first grade teacher for over 30 years, and she would write the names of the students on the ornament and even now can remember most of the students, if not all. Ornaments were better than mugs, since they are easier to store/ take up less room. The mugs got purged much earlier than the ornaments, and even then, ornaments usually only got tossed because they got broken.

1. Dawn

Dawn

Nov 14, 2015 at 12:45 pm

These are all really great ideas! I really like the wrapping paper idea :) Thank you for sharing!

2. Tina Shaw

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:14 pm

We did the roll of gift wrap and tape for neighbor gifts one year! :)

• Simplifying Christmas: What Teachers Really Want for Christmas (it’s easy!)

Nov 11, 2015 at 1:17 pm

[…] By far our most popular post every Christmas over at I Think We Could Be Friends is “Top 10 Teacher Christmas Gifts (written by a TEACHER!)” […]

• Darian

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:52 pm

great ideas. Something we do at my work ( and I have now started doing with my daughters teachers) We have “a few of your favorite things” list and we fill them out and have them in a binder up front ( I work in an early education center. Any teacher or parent is able to look at these. When I find out my daughter’s teacher I have been emailing them the sheet for them to fill out so I have good ideas for the year. :)

1. Dawn

Dawn

Nov 6, 2015 at 10:48 am

Oh that’s a great idea! I was at my daughter’s school the other day and noticed her making coffee in the break room and I was like “ok, good, she is a coffee drinker!”, but it would be good just to ask at the beginning of the year, less spy work involved ;) Thanks for sharing!

• Beth R

Jan 28, 2015 at 6:53 pm

For my child’s middle school teachers, my husband and I arranged ahead of time to provide lunch to be brought in for them one day before winter break — sub sandwiches, chips, drinks, & dessert. Took care of the whole team all at once!

• Holiday Shopping Guide: Best Gifts for Teachers – NerdWallet | Shopping

Dec 18, 2014 at 3:21 pm

[…] it’s a cliché. But it’s also practical and comestible, the top two attributes cited by teachers when asked about their preferred gifts. Chocolate has nearly universal appeal, and it […]

• Andrea

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:20 pm

For an end of school year gift, I bought a picture frame with enough openings for the teachers name. Then my son and I went around to all of his favorite places and found shapes to make up the teachers name. We took pictures, printed them out and put them into the picture frame. (Ex: swing set frame made an A, his favorite climbing tree was in the shape of a Y, etc). Then we wrote up where each letter came from and put it on the back of the picture frame along with my sons picture (in the climbing tree, of course!) his teacher LOVED it… And made her cry. She is a special needs teacher.

1. anwyn84

Nov 16, 2015 at 5:27 am

That is such a great idea!!!! I would love that for the pure thought that went into it!

• Dave

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:19 pm

The most cost effective gift is for student to take up a collection of $2 and give a gift card for your teachers favorite store(HomeDepot, movie theatre, restaurant, clothing store, etc….) I return asked the teacher to show they enjoyed the gift.( Pictures from the ski hill, picture of you outside the restaurant, bring in your new sweater, etc….) This way the students receive some graditude for their giving gesture. Dave from Newmarket Ontario

1. Johnny

Oct 25, 2016 at 7:58 pm

As a teacher and a parent I have to place caution on the “collection” idea. It places pressure on families (especially students) to participate, saps creativity and individuality, and places pressure on the teacher to do the photo/sweater thing. I (and my coworkers) prefer to give personalized thank yous, and as a gift-giver I squeem at the idea of asking the recipient to thank my kids.

• Courtney

Dec 14, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I am a middle school teacher and I fully agree that teacher’s don’t expect anything and I love the notes just as much as the gifts and I still have everything given to me. I often get gift cards to coffee shops but I don’t drink coffee, but I try to use them for hot chocolate or a muffin. So I would add a recommendation that not all teachers drink coffee. In fact on my team of 5 of us, none of us drink coffee. Chocolate is one of my favorite gifts, but one year when I was expecting my baby I was having huge cravings for mexican food. My kids knew this because I would always tease one of my hispanic students when he mentioned his mom’s home cooked meals. The next day I would tease him that I had to drive all the way to my favorite mexican place to get dinner because he made me hungry for it. :) So they knew I loved it. My homeroom collected $1 from each kid (and explained it in a note) and gave me a gift certificate to the local mexican restaurant covering a dinner for 2 for a special date before my girl arrived. It was so thoughtful. Those kids really paid attention.

• Tami

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:27 am

This post has been very helpful. I usually make Christmas candy to give out to the teachers: toffee, fudge, etc.., but this year I was thinking of making ornaments…lol….glad I read this post. I will stick to the home made goodies, which are always loved. On a side note, I also give produce from my garden because I live where the season doesn’t end until November. The teachers reeeeeaally seem to appreciate fresh tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, etc… and I always have way too much!

• MC

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:59 pm

A heartfelt note written by my new-to-writing kindergartener with a $20 bill tucked inside, maybe attached to a box of Trader Joe’s truffles is our plan this year. My mom who was a teacher for many years HATED all the gift cards for things she would never use (like manicures–totally impractical for a master gardener). I really don’t see the problem with good, multi-purpose CASH.

• Tracy Kurzen Brodrick

Dec 9, 2014 at 1:57 pm

I don’t know if this has been mentioned but something I give every year that seems to be a huge hit is Ulta gift cards! If they wear makeup they are super excited and if they don’t there is always something there they can use. Now I do give $15-$20 which was easier when they only had one teacher, but I try to make it happen b/c the teachers give so much to my kids for a whole school year.

• angiemomma

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:02 am

I haven’t read all the comments, but I wouldn’t suggest homemade food items as gifts. Many people have a hard time eating things made in a kitchen they haven’t seen by people they don’t know- are there pets in the kitchen? Do they have mice or bugs? Are they sanitary people? Did the kid help? Did anyone drop, lick, or sneeze on something? No thanks.

1. Seema

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:27 am

I agree With you there.I personally feel the same. Chocolates are the best I guess.

• Tara Burdette

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:03 pm

Love this, thank you so much for this informative list. We have 2 we are buying for… I love the movie ticket and popcorn idea for his mail pe teacher who is also his bus driver. :)

• Margaret Palmer

Nov 26, 2014 at 5:11 am

I have been teaching for 20 years. I love the ornaments! Each year I write the student’s name and year on it before adding it to my tree. My own children groan (just a bit :-)) as I recall a memory about each of the children who are represented on our tree. I love this little walk down memory lane. One of those students from my first year actually became my student teacher about 15 years later. What fun it was to show her the ornament she had given to me when she was in third grade. She recalled making it with her Girl Scout troop and couldn’t believe that I still put it on my tree every year. I assured her that she will too. The chocolate and gift cards are great, too, but the ornaments have that lasting affect that I truly treasure. I also have a handful of kids every year with no gift and some are sometimes sad. I assure them that all I need is a hug and a smile. Getting gifts is not why we teach. It’s definitely about the kids.

1. MissM

Nov 17, 2015 at 7:36 pm

I’m replying to this a year later, but your story about the ornaments brought tears to my eyes! How sweet to think that a teacher would remember kids so many years later and have a story for each one. I love that!

2. Corrin

Nov 26, 2015 at 2:53 am

I taught for 39 years and received many different ornaments from students. I have a teacher tree and put all the teacher ornaments on it. I, too, love looking at the ornaments and fondly remember the students who gave them to me. Many of these students are in their 50’s now. Oh, my!!!!

• Melissa

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:19 am

I have found that homemade goodies are always a treat for our teachers. However, for Christmas, I take a hot lunch to our teachers. Usually soup, fresh bread and of course cookies!

• Jennifer

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:04 am

As a teacher and parent, I can relate to both sides of the gift giving issue. We gave small consumable teacher gifts when each child only had one teacher.When the kids began to get more than one teacher, I sent a goodie tray to the teacher’s lounge from our family. As a teacher,I was happy to grab a cookie or chocolate piece during a break in my day.

• My Homepage

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:05 am

… [Trackback]

[…] Read More here: ithinkwecouldbefriends.com/2013/11/09/top-ten-teacher-christmas-gifts/ […]

• Liz

Oct 26, 2014 at 11:04 pm

One of the best teacher gifts I have ever given was free. All of the fourth and fifth graders wrote lyrics involving our teachers to the tune of “Viva la Vida” by Coldplay and then preformed it. It was heartfelt and memorable while still completely free!

• Linda

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:05 pm

Between the number of teachers they have as they get older, and their activity teachers or coaches, plus church youth directors, choir directors, etc, I was stumped and almost gave up. But as a side note to something I do with my ballet students, I found the perfect thing!
    Through World Vision, you can buy various livestock and such. Ducks are a popular gift (think chickens for flood-prone areas), and you can buy 6 for about $30. I buy those and little rubber ducks from Oriental trading. We attach a little note around the duck’s neck that explains. Our teachers have loved them and commented on them often. One person who has been associated with my kids for about 7 or 8 years now has all of the duckies lined up on a shelf in her office year round. (We get different ones every year, and each set comes with 3 different ducks.)

1. Dawn

Dawn

Sep 7, 2014 at 10:57 am

I love that you get a little duck to go with them…that is a GREAT idea, Linda! Thanks for sharing! :)

• Rebecca Puck

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:46 am

The last three years I have given my kids teachers freezer meals, and the sides to go with it. I make a basic pasta casserole. They get a 9×13 pan of it, a jar of canned fruit, a loaf of French bread, a dozen cookie dough balls (frozen to bake fresh) and my kids pick out a vegetable to add to the meal.
    I have been thanked over and over from their teachers, some save them for busy sports nights with their kids and others use them over Christmas break when their family is visiting.

1. Dawn

Dawn

Sep 3, 2014 at 12:07 pm

That’s such a great idea Rebecca…who wouldn’t love that! :)

• bahsgrl

Feb 5, 2014 at 6:40 pm

Hmmm, the only way my kids teachers are getting Coach purses, is if they take them home on weekends! That said, I do give them fuzzy pink socks for breast cancer awareness month, a hand painted Halloween bucket with candy, homemade Kahlua at Christmas, a chalkboard flowerpot with a plant for the room at valentines day, hot cross buns for Easter, and then the end of the year a quilt made out of the schools t-shirts.

So and I cheapening out? Other than the fuzzy socks, everything is homemade, and i will modify based on personality and sex of individual. Last year my daughter male teacher got homemade beer that my neighbor brews.

• dave

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:48 am

I see that I am not the only one to have a second serious look at the gifts teachers are receiving and the related student burden. The Arlington schools board in Virginia, US, is preparing to take a vote on whether to cap each student’s total annual spending on individual teachers to $100 (still much too high). Other “meaner” or “rude” (?) U.S. counties have already put a $25 limit on presents for the whole year.

If you must give a gift, I think Joe’s suggestion above is a good one.

Yes Sarah, teacher gift giving does get out of control (sorry if that’s a bitter pill to swallow). A recent survey in England showed that, after thank you notes, teachers preferred to receive luxurious gifts: vouchers, theatre tokens, spa days or alcohol.
    I do recognize that teaching children is work and important work, but that point does not justify yours. Additionally, I remember teachers that were not interested in teaching at all in school or that had the wrong temperament for teaching. Who would want to feel compelled to give them a gift?

Lastly, if items are needed for the classroom for the students to pass the curriculum, then that sounds like an important problem quite different from the Christmas one. and certainly should not be indirectly shouldered by students combining money to purchase Coach purses or finance an Imelda Marcos shoe collection for teachers over the years.

• Sarah

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:45 pm

BTW Dave- Teacher’s will often buy their class things (out of their pocket) throughout the year just so they can meet curriculum requirements.

• Sarah

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Dave- I personally give my children a present every year…I hand paint personalized mugs for each child-every one of them had a message just for them (32 kids) and this year I bought them 18 pencils with their name on them. All in all I spent $6 on each child.

• Joe

Dec 19, 2013 at 11:13 pm

Buy a book for the classroom (Caldecott winner or Newbury winner) or donate a book in the teacher’s name to the school library. Have your child write a note saying how the teacher is making a difference – I guarantee that will be the best gift of all.

• Alma

Dec 19, 2013 at 5:50 pm

I have given my kids’ teacher’s and school secretaries holiday candies that I put together, almost every year. My oldest is a Senior this year and it will be his last Christmas teacher gifts, Awww. (tear, tear) I love to give to these people who take the time for my kids and for me as well. I enjoy giving them something since they give me of their time as well.

• michelle

Dec 19, 2013 at 4:13 pm

I was looking for something more inspirational to give our teacher. Teachers do receive a lot of gifts throughout the yr. (birthday, teacher appreciation week, end of yr) so I wanted to give to a local shelter or food pantry in her honor. It would be nice if the school could get together and make this a traditional thing. After all isn’t Christmas about helping others. thank you.

• dave

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:07 am

Sara’s and Sue’s comments both illustrate well why the idea of giving gifts to teachers is one that was probably started by teachers. Sara are you really accepting Coach designer gifts from your 5th grade students? This is commercialism out of control and a teacher who is encouraging it. Are you giving the students back anything of similar value or would that cut into your salary? Sue, why not have the students simply put down a down payment on a pair of diamond her earrings she is interested in at the local Lord & Taylors? I’m sure that with time, she will own them and can wear them to class where future students will be inspired to give even more.

1. Sarah

Dec 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm

I think your comments are just rude and you do not actually know the work that is involved in teaching children.

1. nancylee2013

Sep 18, 2014 at 8:20 pm

As a teacher, Sara, I would hope you would know that you should not have used the possessive ‘teacher’s’, below, but the plural ‘teachers’.
        I understand that teachers have had to buy additional supplies for the classrooms for a number of years. That is not right, but we appreciate that you do it.

1. WendyD1969

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:05 pm

Nancylee2013, if you are going to correct another on their grammer, you might want to take the time to look at how they speel their name and spell it correctly. ;-)

1. Lisa

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:21 am

“Speel” How ironic.

2. Lisa

Dec 12, 2014 at 12:25 am

“Grammer???” Telling someone to check their spelling while you have two very obvious “speeling” errors in yours. Priceless.

2. Andy

Dec 2, 2014 at 2:04 pm

No adult wants to be corrected. Everyone really is doing the best he or she can.

• Sue

Dec 17, 2013 at 10:58 pm

Our entire class combined the money we would have spent on small gifts and bought a gift card for over $300 at a local shopping centre. The teacher could choose any store in the centre for her gift and chose a beautiful gold bracelet for herself.

• Sara

Dec 17, 2013 at 12:00 pm

My fifth grade students are very observant. They notice what I wear, do, drink and carry with me. The kids know what their teacher likes! My students have given me coach accessories, scarves, hats, gloves, cookies, gift cards. They rock!

• tracy

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:27 pm

thirty-one gifts with their name. filled with chocolate, boy scout popcorn!

• Lori

Dec 16, 2013 at 10:21 pm

Last year I bought the covered plastic cups with the straw and included a bunch of drink packets. They loved them! Now that they have new teachers at the school, guess what……

• Angela

Dec 16, 2013 at 3:36 am

I had my son research his teachers’ favorite sports teams and had wine glasses and beer mugs made with their favorite teams logos. I also gave bottles of wine and beer. (Which I dropped off after school of course)

• Kathleen

Dec 14, 2013 at 11:39 am

A great gift is something for the classroom. One year the parents got together and bought a class set of motors that we needed. Saved me a fortune and students didn’t have to share, which for 3rd graders is a big deal. The most enjoyable gifts though are the handmade cards from the kids. I know they spent time making them and their messages are adorable!

• Christina

Dec 14, 2013 at 3:47 am

I love it when families get me gift cards to places I actually go or a gift based on my interests – but I know that is easier said than done for most. A gift certificate to Teachers Pay Teachers would be awesome – I have several items on my “Wish List”. I personally don’t like chocolate, so I prefer the caffeine route (if choosing one or the other). Other ideas: gift card / tickets (movie, sporting event, restaurant, teacher supply store, craft store, etc.). Often the most meaningful things are a heartfelt card/letter from the parent and/or child. Best advice: don’t stress. Teachers appreciate the smallest gestures.

• Lorraine

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:54 am

I have been teaching for 20 years and agree that the practical and consumable gifts are the best. I have worked with children from JK age to grade 2. When I open the cards that come with the gifts and see that a child has written his/her name in chubby letters, drawn a picture or written a message such as ‘I hope you have fun.” or “I love you.”, these are the greatest gifts I could ever receive. I keep these treasures in a box. As for gift ideas, consider a bottle of nice maple syrup, olive oil in lovely bottles or nice jams/honey. I don’t have to worry about storing these items and they will keep for a while.

• Debbie Smith

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:14 am

I bought my daughters teacher a gift card to bath and body works and chocolate :(

• Shirley

Dec 12, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I just bought my aunt (who is a teacher) lesson credits from UClass.org (an edu resource marketplace) and she was ecstatic! I used this link: uclass.org/holidaygift

She said it’s great because they have great lessons that will save her hours of planning over the break.

• Stacy

Dec 12, 2013 at 11:23 am

Enjoyed your post as I am trying to come up with ideas. What a small world, I graduated from Long Prairie, MN! Now a few countries and states later, residing in Illinois.

• dave

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:02 am

It was never the practice to give Christmas gifts to the teacher/s when I attended school. I am middle aged now. I think the clock should be turned back on this one. Teachers don’t need to receive gifts from each of their students. If you are looking to pare the Christmas list, I’d start here.

• dottychello

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:29 am

I’m a prep teacher in Australia and my favourite gifts are cards from parents – Christmas is our end of school year too and I recognise that many times presents are bought because it is the expected thing. When a parent takes the time to write a thoughtful card I know they truly appreciate me working with their child. I also really love the presents that the children have picked and are so excited to give you that they unwrap it for you. I truly appreciate all gifts but these ones are a little more memorable :-)

• Judit

Dec 11, 2013 at 4:51 am

I’m glad with this ideas! This year my daughter has a male teacher, and he is her guitar teacher also. We will make homemade cake look like a guitar. My son”s teacher will be a tea pot with a tea seed which, if you put hot water it opens like a flower.

Last year I made fruit flower for the female teachers, because they have had diet. http://www.superhealthykids.com/healthy-kids-recipes/april-showers-bringing-may-fruit-flowers.php

• Gumball Prints

Dec 10, 2013 at 6:50 pm

Found your post and thought I might share. I am offering a $10 CND printable 8×10″ image size. Personalized Teachers Classroom Rules on faux blackboard look. You print and frame. From Gumball Prints Design. Ends Dec. 13th!

• Kristi K

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:30 am

As a teacher my favorite gift was a bottle of Rudolf the Red-Nosed Root Beer. A middle school boy and his brother made all their teachers one!

• B chiro

Dec 9, 2013 at 8:47 pm

Best gift ever… Room Mother collected $1-2 from each child, painted a branch white, and made “leaves” out of the bills. Sure beat those scented candles and some perfume!

• Heather

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:13 am

While these are great ideas, you must keep in mind that not every family can afford things like gift cards. My kids picked out ornaments for their teachers, from the inexpensive ones at Target. It makes me sad that a teacher may not appreciate an ornament because she has gotten so many over the years. My kids took a long time picking out just the right one they wanted to give their teacher. Now I’m wondering if we should even send it in. :(

1. Jenn

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:34 am

Don’t be frustrated or disappointed Heather. I, like several others at my school, put up a tree in my classroom that I hang all my ornaments from students upon. My students help me decorate it each year as I share an anecdote about each of the children who gave them to me and why it was special. Some are homemade and others purchased. Be sure you write the kid’s names on them with the year to help their teachers recall the special people who gave them to them. Truly, teachers don’t expect anything and it is very thoughtful of you and your children to want to get them something special.

Remember that this is just someone’s opinion, and I am sure that she appreciates each and every gift she’s ever received, too.

Keep the spirit of Christmas in your heart! Happy holidays!

1. Dawn

Dawn

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Great reply, thanks Jenn :) I love the idea of writing the student’s name and the year on it, that would make it VERY special :) And Heather, I hope you noticed in the comments that Beth replied that a hand written note is as good as any gift, she really doesn’t expect extravagant gifts from her students, but I’m glad you shared your perspective as a mom, too…thank you!

2. Beth

Dec 9, 2013 at 4:57 am

Heather… thank you for your thoughts from the “parent side.” Jenn is right…as a teacher, we appreciate all gifts that students bring in. (BTW… great idea Jenn!) I happen to work in an area where money is tight for MANY of my families and aren’t able to give anything which is fine. I’m just as grateful to the student that took the time to write a card as to a student who brings in gift. Heather I LOVE the tradition that you have made with your kids of THEM picking out the ornaments. (In my book, traditions are a HUGE part of Christmas!) It means a lot more when a teacher knows that a student has helped when picking out the gift….And just to let you know… I still have every ornament my students have given me! :)

3. Anna

Dec 13, 2013 at 2:41 am

I taught fourth grade before I was a stay at home mom and still hang all the ornaments my students gave me. I remember who gave me which one, even thought they are not labeled. Some of them are 10 years old. I love them because I loved the kids I taught. Honestly, some kids only gave me a card with a picture and it was special because they thought of me and I loved them. I would not be afraid to send it in. I’m sure the teacher will love it!

• Melissa

Dec 7, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Last year a family made lunch and brought it to the school for our grade level teachers (4 of us). They made a crock-pot full of potato soup, cheese, bacon, green onions, and a pound cake. Best gift ever!! We even had some left over to share with others on our hall.

• GeekyFutureTeacher

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:55 pm

My mom worked at an elementary school and one year the school had each teacher decorate the classroom door with a Wish List (some were trees, some looked like Santa’s list, some were snowflake-y, etc.) that parents could take an item and give something useful to the classroom (like a board game, a carpet sweeper/new broom, books, etc.) instead of a teacher-specific gift. My mom only got 3 coffee mugs that year instead of the 10-12 she typically gets.

• Carin

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:50 am

Scarves!!! You can never go wrong with scarves!

• thalia acosta

Dec 7, 2013 at 2:59 am

Last year I made my history teacher and my chemistry teachers certificates, declaring them the most awesome teachers ever. I framed them and everything. They really seemed to like them :)

• Top Gift Ideas for Teachers | Christian Family Radio

Dec 6, 2013 at 4:57 am

[…] Check out the ideas. […]

• airplantworlds

Dec 5, 2013 at 9:46 pm

We had a ton of people buy teacher holiday gifts from us last year. Air plants are plants that don’t need soil to grow and make a great desk accessory. Customize by picking the teacher’s favorite color. Check it out and drop us a like to let us know what you think! http://www.airplantworlds.com/air-plant-desktop-zen-garden/

• Gail Foster

Dec 4, 2013 at 10:33 am

I am a teacher in Australia and the best gift I ever got was a vase engraved with ‘ love from’ and the child’s name. Every time I put flowers in that vase I think of him when he was six even though he would now be in his late twenty’s.

• kim

Dec 3, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Gasoline card??? for those that have to travel to get to their school. You know they will all need that!!!

• Top Ten Teacher Christmas Gifts (written by a T…

Dec 3, 2013 at 6:31 pm

[…] What do teachers really want for a Christmas gift? We asked a teacher! And she gave us her top ten teacher Christmas gifts. They are practical & affordable!  […]

• Marti

Dec 3, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I just saw this post on pinterest and I’m so glad that I did. It’s my son’s first year in school and I had no idea what to get his teachers. Cookies was one idea I had and after seeing this I might go with gift cards to Tim Horton’s.

• T

Dec 2, 2013 at 4:23 am

Last year we took a collection and made a donation to a cause that is near and dear to our teachers heart. She cried when she read the card. The kids were surprised that she was so touched. It was a good lesson all the way around.

1. Beth Gustafson

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:52 am

FANTASTIC idea!

• Rebecca

Dec 2, 2013 at 1:43 am

Great ideas! Thanks so much for sharing. Thought I’d share that at my kids’ elementary school, the PTA gives each teacher a basic questionnaire at the start of the year and has them fill it out and return; then in each class, the homeroom parent can copy and (discreetly or not) distribute to each family. Then we know straight from the teacher things like favorite restaurants, hobbies, things to collect, foods, etc. It makes gift-giving much simpler to know these things – like giving a gift card to a store/restaurant you KNOW they love instead of guessing. You might suggest this idea to your PTA.

1. Tanya Moreno Feehan

Dec 19, 2013 at 3:19 am

We do the same thing at my daughter’s school. The teachers are encouraged to get as specific as they can. It helps so much. :)

• AmandaB

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:53 pm

One year my children gave each of their teachers a lunch tote with a bottle of water, sandwich, chips, apple, granola bar, and their favorite candy bar. The teachers seem to love it and the gift was fairly inexpensive.

• Amanda

Dec 1, 2013 at 10:42 pm

One year I got a gift bag full of oranges and a jar of homemade apple butter. I get so many cookies and treats, that the oranges were an awesome gift. The apple butter lasts a long time too, unlike so many of the Christmas treats that I end up tossing out since there are so many.

• Alyssa

Dec 1, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I agree wholeheartedly! It is always the little things like a candy bar with a handwritten note that mean the most. I will also reiterate… caffeine or chocolate and you can’t go wrong!

• cassie

Dec 1, 2013 at 8:56 pm

One of the best gifts I have gotten as a teacher was an umbrella and rain boots. These come in so handy! I just keep them at school and whenever the weather is bad I can just grab them from my back closet before dismissal. The boots are too big (since she didn’t know my size) but it doesn’t matter, it also allows me to share them if someone else has that duty or is in need at the time. Just sharing!

• Michele

Dec 1, 2013 at 2:49 pm

I appreciate the list….I have 5 children and have always tried to send gifts to each teacher/administrator that makes my kids’ lists. We would never leave out a teacher based on a child’s’ preference…..but they add to the “basics” with the music teachers, PE coaches, lunchroom staff, principal, office crew, janitorial staff, etc. it gets a little crazy sometimes! Luckily, most of them are at the same school so we can consolidate. Anyway, I digress. We have a few favorite treat recipes and go to homemade gifts that the kids pick from each year and make the treats together – very simple kid-friendly recipes. We have also gone with a bag of popcorn and redbox code certificate tied together with a handwritten tag to “have a relaxing holiday” or something similar. I have always worried about what the teachers really think about the homemade treats and hoped they didn’t just go in the trash! Thanks for the list!

1. Beth Gustafson

Dec 4, 2013 at 4:51 am

Michele… We LOVE homemade treats! Whatever treats make it home… :) (many times they’re too good to leave alone) often go with to family gatherings. So it’s a double blessing…delicious treats and one less thing to bake for get-togethers!

• Melissa Scott

Dec 1, 2013 at 1:15 am

I like your ideas I make a list of questions for the teacher at the beginning of the year… What’s your favorite color, fast food, coffee place, candy, entertainment etc. I can’t buy everything on the list but they end up with a pretty good gift basket and it gives me time to get it together.

• Irene

Nov 27, 2013 at 10:17 pm

My sons went to Catholic grade school and had a few teachers. Each year I would buy a large
    fruit basket for all the teachers/administration to share. EASY

• Tammara

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:09 pm

My son is in Kindergarten and has 2 rotating teachers, 1 ECE and he has his own CYW all day every day with him. I have to buy all a gift to thank them, but the question is what can I buy where I’m not breaking my bank. I’d like to get the CYW a special gift since she is mainly with him.
    Thanks :)

• Teacher Gifts and a Heart for Service: Pin-It Party #24!

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:16 am

[…] week was this clever post from I Think We Could Be Friends.  In it, Beth, a teacher, gives us her Top Ten Teacher Christmas Gifts.  As a former teacher, I can tell you that this is a fabulous list of ideas.  And I’d also […]

• Pin It Party #24 – Beauty Through Imperfection

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:01 am

[…] most clicked from last week was this wonderful list of 10 teacher gifts (written by a teacher!) from I think we could be friends. Click the image below to pin […]

• Pin It Party #23 & FEATURES! – Snippets of Inspiration

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:57 am

[…]  Top 10 Teacher Christmas  Gifts {written by a TEACHER} […]

• Beth Gustafson

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:22 am

Here’s one more idea to a select group… those teachers (public, private, or homeschooling) who have their own child in their classroom (I have had this privilege…twice!) Make sure to get “the teacher” something really nice from your child! :) You should have a really good idea what to get! :) The years that my own two children were in my classroom, I got awesome gifts from them! (He he…) My husband just rolled his eyes… actually so did my kids at the time. :)

• Bonnie @ The Pin Junkie

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:12 am

Thanks for sharing this great article at The Pin Junkie link party. It was featured this week! http://www.thepinjunkie.com/2013/11/friday-link-party-44.html

• Beth Gustafson

Nov 22, 2013 at 2:07 am

These are some great suggestions! A handwritten card from a student should have totally made the list!

• THE Pin It Party #32 Pinterest Linkup Co-hosting! | Not Quite Mom of the YearNot Quite Mom of the Year

Nov 21, 2013 at 3:09 am

[…] Top Ten Teacher Christmas Gifts (written by a TEACHER!) by I Think We Could Be Friends […]

• Jessie

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:21 pm

Found this on Pinterest and I love it. Very good to know :) Great post!

• mommymentionables

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:50 am

Hi there! Your post was selected as the winner from last weeks Get Inspired Pin Party hosted on Mommy Mentionables. :) That means you have the opp to cohost this week. If interested, please email me at melanie@mommymentionables dot com and we can get you the post info. The party goes live Thursday at 5PM CST. Thanks and congrats on being a featured pin!

• Sariah

Nov 20, 2013 at 6:10 am

As the wife of a high school teacher… ALL gifts are always appreciated because it just means he is being thought of and it means so much to him. His favorite gifts? Starbucks gift cards (we don’t even drink coffee! But there are so many other yummy treats there…), movie tickets, or Barnes and Noble gift cards. We have 4 kids of our own and I know it can get expensive. So even though he loves the gift cards and homemade cookies, just getting a card signed by a student is wonderful. Sounds cheesy, but it’s true. He saves every single card and letter he gets from students.

• amber

Nov 20, 2013 at 4:59 am

I have found that many teachers both male and female love scentsy! I only found that out thru selling it tho lol. But its an awesome gift and it is something different. https://atravelstead.scentsy.us
    I also had my kids do those plates that you draw on with sharpie then bake and I had em do a mug also and both teachers ended up in tears. My babies traced their hands then colored.it however they wanted. it doesnt require supervision until the baking part :)

• Rin

Nov 18, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I’m a high school teacher and we generally don’t get gifts. But it melted my heart last year when a student brought in a little Christmas card. I’m sure his mom made him do it and all he wrote inside was Merry Christmas and his name, but it made my day!

1. Beth Gustafson

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:51 am

I totally agree! Best encouragement ever is getting a card with a student’s note inside! These are the things that I save…they are reminders of why I teach!

• Dean

Nov 18, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Great ideas. Some of my friends and I used to do the traditional white elephant gift exchange but it had to be one of the gifts you got from a student. There would be some crazy ones. I once got E.T. socks and a chocolate alligator.

1. Beth Gustafson

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:37 am

Great idea! Very creative way to re-gift. And like they say… someone’s “unique” Christmas gift is another person’s treasure.

2. GeekyFutureTeacher

Dec 7, 2013 at 7:58 pm

ET socks and a chocolate alligator – hilarious!

• Victoria Welton (@VicWelton)

Nov 17, 2013 at 5:26 pm

What fantastic ideas – a really useful post and gives me far better ideas than previous years! Thanks for linking to PoCoLo x

• Michaela Britton

Nov 17, 2013 at 10:38 am

I like your ideas. I think we are going to get some smallish smellies type set and maybe a box of chocolates. My son also want to make each of his teachers a card to make it more personal

Thanks for joining in with the I Love My Post blog hop

• Lisha

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Yes! I was a 7th grade math & history teacher before I had my daughters…and this list is right on the mark! Although, I still have all of the coffee mugs given to me by my students from the first year of teaching, and can still remember who gave me each one. That first round of Christmas gifts was a sweet one, because I had no idea that teachers got Christmas presents! :) My favorite gifts were usually DD cards and Bath & Body Works hand soaps, but I had one astute student who noticed that I didn’t drink coffee but Diet Coke every morning, so he & his mom bought me a 12-pack of that instead. And one time, a young lady gave me a card, and she explained that she picked it because it was a Christian card with Jesus and even though she didn’t think all that stuff was true, she thought maybe I was, and would like a card with a Bible verse in it. It was one of the most thoughtful gifts I ever got.

Great post! Brings me back to the sweet years I spent in the classroom. I found you through the ‘make my Saturday sweet’ link-up, and I’m so glad I did!
    ~Lisha

• Wicked World of Lucas

Nov 16, 2013 at 8:33 am

Great post and some fab ideas – loving the film voucher one attached to a box of popcorn :) #pocolo

• Patti

Nov 15, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Pinned! All great ideas.

• Coombe Mill (Fiona) (@coombemill)

Nov 15, 2013 at 12:09 pm

OK so it’s homemade sweet treats or chocolate if I run out of time and I’ll ditch the scented candle idea! #PoCoLo

1. Beth Gustafson

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:49 am

Homemade treat… Christmas cookies… GREAT idea! I have loved it when I have gotten a plate or tin of treats. It’s something fun to bring to family gatherings that I didn’t have to make. Well… at least the ones that even made it home! :)

• Julie

Nov 15, 2013 at 8:57 am

I love this post! Luckily my kids are all too old for this now, but I used to see people going in on the last day of term with enormous bunches of flowers/jewellery/fancy & expensive things. My kids used to make a card and if you were super lucky there would be a flat bar of (half decent)chocolate taped to the front & incorporated in the design somehow

• Bonnie Frank

Nov 15, 2013 at 2:30 am

PERFECT! As a former teacher, I thank you for writing this! I cannot tell you how many Christmas ornaments I got over the years…and I don’t celebrate Christmas. I have pinned this to my “parenting” Pinterest board. I figured that whichever people go there will likely be parents!

• Diana

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:05 pm

This is a great post! Thanks so much for linking up to The Weekly Creative! :) XOXO

• Sarah

Nov 14, 2013 at 4:16 am

Great tips, my daughter is in preschool so this is all new to me. I’ve gotten to know her teacher a bit and I will keep these in mind when i go shopping (or crafting).

• Gin@doehillhomeschool

Nov 14, 2013 at 2:53 am

I LOVE these ideas! We homeschool, but have a bunch of friends who teach and are always looking for good gifts for Sunday school/church teachers–practical ideas, very funny post. Thank you!

1. Beth Gustafson

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:45 am

Yes… I have used some of these ideas for Sunday School teachers, piano teachers, dance teachers….

• Ila Pilon

Nov 14, 2013 at 12:46 am

Wonderful ideas! I use to work in the schools and I always found the most interesting things on my desk at times!

• Jennifer

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:14 pm

For the past several years, I have given my children’s elementary teacher a “homework” assignment the first week of school asking them to name all of their favorite things — candy, snack, hobby, drink, store, restaurant, etc., then I use that list to put together a basket of their favorite things. I know it can get a little spendy, but for me I love, love, love teachers and the investment they make everyday into the life of my child is something I can’t put a price on. :-)

1. Dawn

Dawn

Nov 13, 2013 at 7:03 pm

Wow, that is an AWESOME idea :) I think that is the tough spot most parent’s find themselves in, feeling like they don’t have enough money to truly show their gratitude :)

• Carrie From Carrie This Home

Nov 13, 2013 at 2:44 pm

These are wonderful ideas, Beth! My husband is a teacher and he would LOVE any of the ideas you gave for male teachers! Pinning this and I’m glad I stopped by from Whatever Goes Wednesday!

• Sara (@mumturnedmom)

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:54 am

Great list – thank you! I struggled last year :) #MotivationalMonday

• Sandy

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:37 am

Man, this is perfect timing. I was trying to think of what to get my son’s teachers and therapists for Christmas. Chocolate it is!

1. Beth Gustafson

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:43 am

You can never go wrong with chocolate! :)

• lanalouwho

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:20 pm

This list is fabulous list. I have been making myself crazy trying to figure what to get my son’s speech therapists to show our appreciation. Thanks for the ideas!

• JoAnn @ SweetPepperRose

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:50 pm

My daughter is a first year teacher this year, so I’m sure she’ll get plenty of those first mentioned ;-)

• joanneviola

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Great suggestions! I visited from Titus 2 Tues. this morning :)

• Helen Neale (@KiddyCharts)

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:51 am

Some great ideas here – thanks so much for joining in with the Parenting Pin it Party – I am now off to the shops! ;-)

• StephsTwoGirls

Nov 11, 2013 at 10:54 pm

Brilliant ideas, thanks! I do always struggle with what to get… over from Motivational Monday x

• Pink Oddballs MBPsS (@PinkOddy)

Nov 11, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Great ideas – I am a firmer giver in the bottle of wine department – speaking to many teacher it tends to go down well – just find out whether they prefer white, red or rose. Thank you for linking up with MotivationalMonday

• notafrumpymum

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I love this article, although despite teaching 11 years, I rarely get anything more adventurous than a bottle of wine. Or maybe they just know me too well! x

• bigplatypus

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Great list – I’ll need it latest mid December ;-).
    Visiting from Mondays Parenting Pin it Party

• suzanne3childrenandit

Nov 11, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Great stuff. I’m always stumped as to what to get a teacher….usually go for wine but fun to think of something a little more original – love the cinema voucher and popcorn idea :)

• Rachelle S.

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:31 pm

These are some great ideas, thanks for the insight! Visiting from “This Momma’s Ramblings” link party.

Rachelle S.

• broodyme

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Very handy to know #MagicMoments

• Actually Mummy

Nov 11, 2013 at 1:27 pm

What a great idea for a post – way better suggestions that all those home-made crafts ;) I’ll pop it on a pinterest board actuallymummy. Visiting from the Parenting pin it party

• Helen

Nov 11, 2013 at 9:58 am

Hillarious!! Thanks for sharing! Im off to get a Starbucks card now ;-)

• Claire

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:31 am

Great post, will keep this one in mind :) thanks for sharing at Creative Mondays…

• Audra @ Renewed Projects

Nov 11, 2013 at 3:27 am

One of my favorite presents is a class picture taken by one of the students. I have one for each class I taught. A very personal and special gift, especially if it comes in a handmade frame.

• tmcegarcia

Nov 11, 2013 at 12:41 am

PERFECT!!! I have lost count of the number of coffee mugs I’ve thrown away over the years!

• Anonymous Teacher

Nov 10, 2013 at 11:38 pm

**I recommend unscented soap, antibacterial, etc. due to students’ and teachers’ allergies!

While I love gift cards (!), I also appreciate boxes of tissues for the classroom, extra pencils for the students who never seem to have one, etc. I spend my own money on that and on other supplies my students need … and it would be lovely to receive those as a gift instead. (I did have pencils on my Wish List that I shared with my family members last year!)

Some of the most priceless gifts that I treasure are the thoughtful cards my middle school and high school students have created for me. Their words of gratitude and reflections on what they’ve learned are a ray of light and inspiration on the more challenging days.

• Rosey

Nov 10, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Groaning at my gift of Gingerbread House ornaments for the teacher and the teaching assistant last year, lol!! Thanks for the tips!

And thank you for linking to Super Sunday Sync.

1. Dawn

Dawn

Nov 10, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Lol Rosey, we’ve all been there :) I actually am glad for permission just to give a gift card, though, I think teachers can be difficult because we appreciate them so much, and we know how much our kids ADORE them, so we want to give them a really special, thoughtful gift :)