Isn’t this a fun Mother’s Day cake idea?? I love my mom and she deserves a really awesome cake for Mother’s Day! But I also know that she is cool…a little too young yet for anything too flowery or with super scroll-y text. So I knew that she needed something unique this year…truly memorable.
And me? I love making a big impact for a SMALL price! (I actually get that from my mom!) Like this free printable Mother’s Day cake topper. It is super FUN, super EASY and is sure to give everyone something to talk about this Mother’s Day!!
HOW DOES THIS MOTHER’S DAY CAKE TOPPER WORK?
Glad you asked! It is really simple and only takes about ten minutes to create!
1. One printed copy of the MOTHER’S DAY CACTUS CAKE TOPPER DECORATION (just click on this link and it will bring you to it!)
2. Scissors to cut out the pieces
3. Barbecue skewers
4. Hot glue OR tape
5. A cake! Store bought or homemade (works on cupcakes, too!)
1. Print the MOTHER’S DAY CACTUS CAKE TOPPER DECORATION on cardstock or other sturdy paper
2. Cut out each image (I left a small white border around each, but do what you like!)
3. Hot glue or tape each piece to a skewer, you can break them into smaller pieces (Tip: always insert a factory end into the cake, no one wants splinters in their mouth!)
4. Arrange on the cake!
5. Bonus step: add brown sugar to look like sand
WHAT KIND OF CAKE DID YOU USE?
Now, when it comes to cake, my philosophy is that it needs to taste GOOD! I’m past the point in life where I can just consume any calorie that sets itself in front of me. If I’m going to eat cake, it needs to be worth it!!!
So I made a triple layer cake. The bottom layer is chocolate and the top too are vanilla with red food coloring added to the second layer. They are just boxed mixes, but the secret is the cream cheese frosting between the layers and on top. I like to make it the day before so that the frosting has time to mingle with the layers!
I also added the little brown “v” embellishments to the sides to make it look a little more like a cactus, but of course this is optional. And if I were to be completely honest, I would make a bundt cake to put these on. I have a few bundt cakes that start with a cake mix, but then you add sour cream and pudding. They are awesome! (You can find them HERE!)
And I think the decorations would work just as well on a bundt cake!
Oh, and if you don’t have time to make a cake, this decoration would look great on a store bought cake, too. And it could definitely work on cupcakes…just use what you have available!!
IN THE END…
And in the end, what matters most is that mom feels appreciated this Mother’s Day! Whether it with a clever cake topper or just a hug and an “I love you!”
We hope you have as much fun with this Mother’s Day Cactus Cake Decoration as we did! And please don’t hesitate to leave any questions in the comments.
Happy Mother’s Day!