My Mighty Girl Book List: Ages 11-14

Feb 4, 2014Allison

Raising girls that LOVE to read!

Down the screen time and UP the reading time this summer with these great books! We all know that strong reading skills help in all areas of learning, so here are some recommendations to keep your daughter engaged, entertained and inspired!

Focus:

The book selection centers on middle school girls from various cultures and times in history.

Why these books:

Because I have two daughters and I want them to be mighty women one day. I think women are awesome people. Literature is a splendid starting point to help girls create who they want to be and moms who got stuck in their personal development.

So many great female role models are waiting to be discovered! All you have to do is make a nice cup of coffee and open a book.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
The Midwife’s Apprentice by Karen Cushman
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead
Shabanu: Daughter of the Wind by Suzanne Fisher Staples
Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
One Crazy Summer by Rita Williams-Garcia
Caddie Woodlong by Carol Ryrie Brink
Bread Winner by Deborah Ellis
Are You There God? It Is Me Margaret. by Judy Blume
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine

Encourage your daughters to read these book on their own, or spend time reading them together (you might find you enjoy the books as much as your girls do!)

We look forward to hearing about your thoughts on the books and how they impact your daughter! Feel free to leave a comment if there are any books that you think should be added to the list :)

And, for the other children in your home, check out the:

>> Mighty Girls Reading List for 6-10 year olds!
>> Mighty Boys Reading List for 9-12 year olds!
>> Mighty Boys Reading List for 12-15 year olds!

And while all of these books are available at your local library, it may be fun to start a book collection with your kids. These books can also be purchased inexpensively from Amazon or other second hand book retailers.

Have fun reading!

P.S. You may also find these articles helpful:

>> 7 No-fail tips to give your struggling reader confidence (written by a teacher)
>> The single most important thing to help your child succeed at school

Let’s keep in touch:

Jeannine

Apr 28, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Great list. However one title is incorrect; it should be Caddie Woodlawn.

Lori

Jun 29, 2014 at 2:47 am

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is an amazingly beautiful story, but I really think the 11-14 age group is too young for it.

Carrie @ Crafty Moms Share

Feb 21, 2014 at 11:26 pm

What a great list!! We are far away from middle school age, but will keep this for when we get closer. Thank you for sharing at Sharing Saturday!

1. Allison

Dawn

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:21 pm

Hi Carrie!

Allison just added a list for younger girls, too! http://www.ithinkwecouldbefriends.com/2014/02/26/book-list-ages-6-10/

karan Mccaughey

Feb 21, 2014 at 3:42 pm

I found your blog on Thats Fresh Friday, and I was so happy to see that You are promoting Reading for Girls. I have 4 sisters and we are all in our 60’s…..We are avid readers and have been since we were old enough to pick up a book! I can’t tell you how much reading changed my life. It lead me to college, nursing school, and a lifetime of helping and caring for people. Please keep up the good work!

Ida

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:18 pm

Great list. Please let me know when you make a list for younger girls as my step-daughter loves to read but these books are a little much for her! Stopping by from the Fresh Friday hop!

Cindy Eikenberg

Feb 17, 2014 at 11:38 am

Allison, thank you so much for sharing this wonderful list at Best of the Weekend! I have been an avid reader since I was a young girl and truly believe in the importance reading throughout life. This is a great list and it’s pinned! Hope you had a wonderful weekend and enjoy your week!

Betsy @ Romance on a Dime

Feb 17, 2014 at 4:40 am

This is a great list! Thanks for sharing!

Antionette Blake

Feb 17, 2014 at 2:19 am

I still remember the first time I read, “Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret” – changed my life forever.

Verily Victoria Vocalises

Feb 16, 2014 at 10:13 pm

This list sounds great – I must go and check it all out. Thank you for linking to PoCoLo x

Kelly Burtelson

Feb 16, 2014 at 3:10 am

Oooh! Great list, thanks for sharing :-) ~Kelly @ Eyes On The Source

thissimplemom

Feb 16, 2014 at 1:23 am

So glad you added a book list to our WWDParty! I think I’ve only read two or three. :( Thank you for joining the party. In the future please be sure to link to us so that we can pin and possibly feature you!

Sarah Barker

Feb 15, 2014 at 1:11 am

Thanks so much for this very “pinnable” list. I’ve got an elementary-age girl, but I wanted to save this for later. Also, it brought back such great memories of the great books I’ve been fortunate to read from an early age that really instilled a love of reading.

Sarah’s Fare recently posted → 15 of the Best Brownie Recipes

karen

Feb 14, 2014 at 3:14 pm

I love your list. We already have most of them, but a couple of new ones will give us something to look forward to reading!

Natalie AfterschoolForSmartyPants

Feb 10, 2014 at 6:12 pm

Visiting from Parenting Pin Party and enjoying this book list. My daughter is only 7 now, but I also want her to be a mighty girl. We need to look at some of the books you recommend. Natalie (http://www.pinterest.com/sunnyvale422/)

Allison Loftus

Feb 7, 2014 at 2:35 am

I would recommend “I am Malala” for girls 14 years and up due to content. You are the best judge. So read it first and see if you think it would be good for your girls.

“A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” beautifully emphasis the power of education.

Great nonfiction about women who value education:
    Anne Frank
    Eleanor Roosevelt
    Helen Keller
    Marie Curie
    Dorothea Lang
    Amelia Earhart
    Julia Child
    Rosa Parks
    Florence Nightingale
    Harriet Beecher Stowe
    Harriet Tubman

Lindsey

Feb 5, 2014 at 4:02 pm

What about the new “I am Malala” ? I have been thinking about reading it with my girls, to give them an appreciation for the privilege of schooling!

Karen E

Feb 5, 2014 at 3:33 pm

Cool, Allison! I’ve read at least four of those on your list. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn was probably my favorite of all of them.

Prev Post Next Post