The Mighty Girl Reading List: Ages 6-10

Feb 26, 2014Allison

Down the screen time and UP the reading time this summer with these great books! We all know that strong reading skills help in all areas of learning, so here are some recommendations to keep your daughter engaged, entertained and inspired!

Raising girls that LOVE to read! Such a great list!Focus:

The 2015 book selection focuses on adventurous, smart, and fearless girls, both real and imagined.

Tip:

Read the books aloud with your daughter(s) if they aren’t quite ready to read them on their own. You’ll probably end up enjoying it as much as they do!

Why this list:

Because I have two daughters and I want them to be mighty women one day. I think women are awesome people. Literature is a splendid starting point to help girls create who they want to be and moms who got stuck in their personal development.

The Books:

Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren
Heidi by Johanna Spyri
Mary Poppins by P.L. Travers
Matilda by Rolad Dahl
Ramona by Beverly Cleary
Charlotte’s Web by E.B. White
The Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder
Where the Mountain Meets the Moon By Grace Lin
Anne of Green Gables by L.M. Montgomery
The Hundred Dresses by Eleanor Estes
The Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett
The Wizard of Oz by Frank L. Baum

We look forward to hearing about your thoughts on the books and how they impact your daughter! Leave a comment below if you have any other ideas for books that should be added to the list :)

And, for the other children in your home, check out the:

>> Mighty Girls Reading List for 11-14 year olds!
>> Mighty Boys Reading List for 9-12 year olds!
>> Mighty Boys Reading List for 12-15 year olds!

And while all of these books are available at your local library, it may be fun to start a book collection with your kids. These books can also be purchased inexpensively from Amazon or other second hand book retailers.

Have fun reading!

P.S. You may also find these articles helpful:

>> 7 No-fail tips to give your struggling reader confidence (written by a teacher)
>> The single most important thing to help your child succeed at school

Let’s keep in touch:

• Allison

My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday – Link Party #23 –

Jun 11, 2015 at 6:05 am

[…] Now for the most viewed is the Mighty Girl Reading List : Age 6 – 10 from I think We Could Be Friends […]

• Allison

Elaine

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:45 pm

Hey you were the most clicked this week on the blog hop so you will be featured too!! Thanks for sharing on My 2 Favorite Things on Thursday! Hope to see you again tomorrow!! Pinned!

• Allison

Kristi

Jun 9, 2015 at 8:49 pm

We love these books! Thanks for putting it together and sharing them with us at #homemattersparty

• Allison

Krysta @ KrystaSteen.com

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:23 am

Thanks for sharing at Tips & Tricks! :)

• Allison

Victoria Welton (@VicWelton)

Mar 3, 2014 at 10:37 pm

I’ve just gone down this list and am rather surprised to see that I have only read 2 to Grace! I had better get a move on!! Thank you for linking to PoCoLo x

• Allison

Cindy Eikenberg

Mar 2, 2014 at 11:27 am

Allison, what a wonderful and perfect list! I have been a reader since childhood and love every one of these books. Beverly Cleary was one of my favorite authors when I was younger. Thank you so much for sharing at Best of the Weekend and for encouraging the love of reading. Have a wonderful Sunday and fabulous week!

• Allison

Nici ~ Posed Perfection

Mar 1, 2014 at 1:48 pm

This is a great list for girls. I was curious if you had a list for boys coming out soon. My son is my reluctant reader. It is really difficult to find books for him that appeal to his interests. Have a great weekend!
    Blessings,
    Nici

• Allison

Marissa D

Feb 28, 2014 at 3:35 pm

This is a great list! I’d love for you to share it with my Cozy Reading Spot, a link up where the focus is first on books and reading, and then on writing. This would be perfect. It’s open all weekend, I hope to see you there!

Marissa

• Allison

Ida

Feb 26, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Charlotte’s Web is my absolute favorite book ever! I read it over and over as a kid. I also read Pippi Longstocking, Ramona and Her Mother, Matilda and Anne of Green Gables. I had forgotten about a couple of these. Thanks for the reminder. Time to head to the library!!

Prev Post Next Post