Best teacher gift ideas for anytime of year (written by a teacher!)
One of the things I love about teaching is that no two days are the same. School is not a boring place to be. (Don’t listen to your children when they say it is!) There are a few times during the school year that brings a special kind of crazy to the school year: the first week of school, right before Christmas vacation, and… the last month of school. During these times it’s amazing if I can make a coherent thought by the time I get home.
Of course the end of the school year is the queen of Crazy-time. It is a time for field trips, cleaning desks, lockers and the classroom that has been lived in for the last 9 months, cramming in those last few things we want our students to learn (and in a fun & exciting way… because after all… it’s almost summer, and keeping their short attention span is like nailing Jello to a tree…), and end of the year concerts, award programs & parties.
As much as I look forward to summer after the last crazy month, there is a part of me that is sad to say goodbye to my students. These have been “my kids” for the last 9 months. And yes I will see many of them again, but it won’t be the same.
We don’t expect a gift!
I’m always surprised and very humbled when I receive a thank you gift at the end of the year. I certainly don’t expect it, but after the craziness we call May, I definitely appreciate it.
But first let me say thank YOU—to the Mamas & Papas—for sharing your kiddos with us during the school year. They are the reason that teaching is the best job ever!
And for those of you who had mercy on us and provided us with chocolate, caffeine, or something else to help us survive the last few days of school or to welcome us to summer… bless you!
The best teacher gift ideas
If you are looking for a way to bless or thank your child’s teacher, here are a few of my favorite gift ideas:
- Probably my all-time favorite thing to get from a student is a hand written note. I cherish these. They are easy to store (I always keep them!) and it is the best kind of encouragement!
- Any kind of gift card for a fun coffee, treats, or lunch:
- Starbucks, Caribou, or your local coffee shop, Cold Stone Creamery, Dairy Queen, Subway, McDonald’s
- A nice plant to enjoy for the summer
- Fun smelling hand soap or hand sanitizer
- If your child’s teacher/school has iPads… iTunes gift card
- Amazon or other bookstore gift card (for a book to read at the beach!)
- Candy or some other type of treat (if you don’t know… go with chocolate! Often it is chocolate or caffeine that get us through the day!)
- Get the teacher his/her favorite beverage (that won’t get your kid sent to the principal’s office ;) or favorite candy
- Movie certificate taped to a box of popcorn
- Car Wash Coupons
- Gas Gift Card
- Fun insulated tumbler
- Beach towel (now that we have time to go the beach! :)
Hopefully, there is a teacher gift idea or two that will help. If you are looking for a few more ideas (especially for male teachers) visit Beth’s list of the best Christmas Gifts for Teachers HERE!
And remember… that whatever gift your child brings, we will love it… because we love your kids! It’s why we teach!
What other great ideas do you have? I’d love to hear your suggestions below!
Other popular posts by Beth: