Summer can be a challenging time for moms who not only have to juggle the regular tasks: housework, errands, cooking…but the kids being home all day, too! It can be difficult to maintain your summer coolness as a mom of school aged children.
But to help you out, here are my 3 cheap tricks to summer mom awesomeness:
1. The Snack Drawer:
Okay, if you want to be the coolest mom on the block have a loaded snack drawer. It is easy to assemble…
- Pick a drawer in your kitchen.
- Empty the drawer
- Fill the drawer awesome snacks. (Homemade baked goods are always a winner and frugal choice! So, get your Betty Crocker on and start baking. Click here to give my brownie recipe as a delicious addition to your snack drawer.)
The kids in the neighborhood will love you and your kids’ cool status will increase exponentially. I tried this and it worked. Almost every kid on the block told me they, “Wished they had a mom who had a cool snack drawer.”
2. The Epic Summer Challenge:
This idea started two years ago when a friend of mine told me she was spending the summer taking her kids to every park in their city over the summer months. “Brilliant!” I thought, “This is a great idea.” And thus the epic summer challenge was born.
For our first challenge, my kids and I thought it would be cool if we would see how many donut shops we could visit from June 7th to September 1st.
Last summer my kids dubbed our epic summer challenge as the “Garage Saler.” Every Saturday we would pick two garage sales and see what we could find for under a dollar. Some of our finds included: a ration book from WWII, a miniature teapot, two books, and three packs of Pokémon Cards.
The epic summer challenge gives the summer a certain sense of purpose and you can design it to fit your budget.
Quick Ideas to get you going…
- Finding the perfect pancake
- Hiking or biking all the trails in your city
- Take a photo everyday and have each child make an epic summer collage
- Visit all the different places of worship in your city
- See how many different swimming pools you can visit
3. The Sprinkler:
This one is a double bonus. Not only does the sprinkler make you an awesome mom, it makes you an awesome wife as well.
Here is why…not only are you providing supercool fun for your kids, you are watering the lawn for your husband. Throw in some water balloons and popsicles and you have reached the pinnacle of mom awesomeness.
Have A Super Cool Fun Summer!!!
(Need a little more advice on how to survive the summer months? Check out my post on “What wise moms do when kids say, ‘I’m bored’”)
Let’s keep in touch: