5 NON-STRESSFUL Ways to get your kids to eat Vegetables

Jan 24, 2014Allison

I always feel guilty that my kids don't get enough veggies, but these are GREAT ideas!   I like vegetables and fruits, well except for tomatoes and radishes.

However, I cannot get myself to eat the recommended daily amount of fruits and vegetables, nevertheless the kids. I do not even know what the daily-recommended amount is for a 37-year-old woman. If I hit three veggies or fruits a day I am pretty pleased with myself. My lowest point was two weeks before Christmas when I only ate 3 or 4 vegetables/fruits the entire week. I must say I had very poor energy levels that week.

With my lack of veggie enthusiasm in mind, I thought I would research suggestions on how to get my veggie mojo in gear for the kids and me.

Here are my top 5 favorite suggestions for getting kids to LOVE veggies:

(And, remember you are taking advice from a mom who fed her son cheese sticks and fruit snacks for a month because he refused to eat anything else!)

1) Pile the veggies on your plate: If you don’t eat your veggies than neither will your kids. Model health eating and they will too…one day…hopefully.

2) Put one veggie on your kid’s plate: Put one kind of every vegetable on your child’s plate and don’t say anything. If they say they don’t like it, agree. We all have different tastes. Encourage one bite. If it happens, great. If not, don’t stress. Your child will be okay. Just keep on offering them those veggies. (It takes 8 to 10 tries to like something)

3) Give your veggies cute names: How did I get my kids to eat brussel sprouts? I told them they were cute little baby cabbages. And for some reason they ate them. Make veggies fun and get the kids involved in the veggie process. Start fights between the carrots and the broccoli. Let you children pick out veggies at the store. Plant a garden. The possibilities are endless. Let your veggie imagination soar!

4) Hide the veggies: I am not a big fan of hiding veggie in food. I think brownies should be made with butter and not broccoli or spinach. My pediatrician told me when Kyle started solids “a mom cannot go on forever hiding veggies in her children’s food. At some point they will have to learn to eat them.” But, some children just won’t eat them, so cultivate their tastes by adding them to foods they love. It won’t hurt them. You feel better. And remember as long as you keep offering, your child will one day in the future eat their veggies.

5) Use Bacon and Butter: Who wants to eat just plain vegetables all the time? There is a reason God gave us bacon and butter…to help the veggies go down! Butter up your children’s taste buds by adding delicious flavors to their vegetables.

And with most things in parenting: 1) Consistency pays off   2) and even if your child never eats a vegetable again, you are trying and you ARE DOING A GOOD JOB mom!

How have you gotten your kids to eat their veggies? PLEASE share below!

AL-Signature

>>If you have another minute,
you don’t want to miss our most popular post right now: Talking About the Birds & the Bees with your HUSBAND!

P.S. May I ask a favor?
Would you follow us on Pinterest or like us on Facebook? It’s a great way to keep in touch!

please-follow-us-on-pinterest

like-us-on-facebook

• Allie

Feb 4, 2014 at 11:04 pm

Great tips! Its funny I have one that you would think he was a vegetarian because he prefers fruits and vegetables over meat, and one that pretty much refuses to eat vegetables, but thankfully she loves fruit. We can’t seem to keep fruit stocked. It’s eaten within 2 days of bringing it home. At least we know it doesn’t ever spoil right? Thanks for sharing on Worthwhile Wednesdays. Hope to see you again tomorrow at the link party!
    Thanks again,
    Allie @ http://thecraftiestallie.blogspot.com/

• Tiffiny

Feb 1, 2014 at 8:37 pm

These are good tips. I especially love the bacon and butter tip! lol

• TheBargainBabe

Feb 1, 2014 at 3:28 pm

Good tips here. My kids have also enjoyed growing their own vegetables in our summer garden—having seen the whole process they are a little more excited to eat them. :)

• Kristin KH

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:25 pm

Great tips! My kids are wonderful veggie eaters, but even they have their moments. I rarely have to stress that they are getting enough because I always know I can plop some frozen peas on their plate and they’re happy campers. Even I can get in a rut of making things the same way, though, so I really try to mix things ups for all of us. Thanks so much for linking up to Tips and Tricks Tuesday – I’m pinning this awesome post to our Pinterest board!

• Joelle

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:05 pm

My mother bought a juicer that separated the pulp from the juice so you could adjust the amount to your taste. I forget the brand. She took every veggie in the fridge and piled them into her juicer, made 2 L of juice and a ton of pulp, then added it all to ingredients for chocolate chip muffins. My very picky daughter downed the muffins never knowing she was eating “those yucky green things”. My son wasn’t fond of cooked broccoli until I allowed him to put ketchup on it, for my daughter, frozen broccoli was okay (tends to get sweeter from the freezing process) but fresh and cooked was a no-go without a couple of drops (no more!) of maple syrup. My brother would eat anything covered in cheese whiz. For me, I loved all veggies raw, but hated the softness of cooked (probably overcooked by my British family), so my mother let me eat all my veggies raw – including potatoes, rutabagas (great with PB!) peas and a lot of others you wouldn’t guess. My mother would hide spinach in lasagna, in spaghetti or in baking. Get the kids mixing up ingredients and they’ll pretty much eat anything too.

• Kathleen

Jan 28, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I add cheese too! Great tips, thanks! Pinned it too.

• A Lapin Life

Jan 28, 2014 at 1:35 am

Great tips thanks! I eat a lot of veggies but getting my kids to eat them is not easy.

Dee

• Pinkoddy

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:57 pm

You know it can take 50 presentations of a new food before a child will try it too. Thanks for linking to Motivational Monday

• jbmumofone

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:33 pm

I so needed this post in my life right now. I have been tearing my hair out with the toddler. I am going to give some of these a try this week. Thanks so much for sharing with the Monday Pin It Party. I am really glad you did.

Prev Post Next Post