Everyone must be making Dawn’s famous Pumpkin Spice Bundt Cake these days — it seems that stores everywhere are out of canned pumpkin!
While it may not be as quick as opening a can, when you learn how to make your own pumpkin puree from scratch, you may never go back! And your bundt cake (or whatever pumpkin-y goodness you’re whipping up) will be even more delicious!
All you need is:
- 1 pie pumpkin (the cute small ones, not the kind you use for jack-o-lanterns)
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Wash your pumpkin and cut in half lengthwise from top to bottom on both sides. Don’t try to cut through the stem.
3. Pull pumpkin apart from the bottom.
4. Scoop out the seeds and cut off the stem.
5. Lay both halves face down on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
6. Bake for 45-60 minutes until you can pierce in several places with a fork.
7. Once the pumpkin has cooled a bit, scoop it out and put it in a food processor. If it’s on the larger side you may need to do several batches.
8. Process until smooth (about 1-3 minutes, depending on how smooth you like it).
9. Ready to use!
Stores in the fridge for about a week or freeze in jars for later (just leave some room at the top so the jars don’t crack! :)
Use in your favorite pumpkin recipes like…
or my delicious Pumpkin Pancakes (recipe coming soon!!).
You can also substitute pumpkin for the butternut squash in my Butternut Squash Spice Smoothie recipe, just add a little extra honey since pumpkin isn’t quite as sweet.
If you’ve found this helpful, please share with your family & friends who may also be lamenting the lack of canned pumpkin! :)
Jacquie is a Virtual Assistant (convenient during a pandemic situation) and a professional pianist (not so convenient) who has a keen interest in nutrition, fitness and simple living.
Save this on Pinterest!